Sunday, August 26, 2012

My Story


I sit here. Dad and Mom are out to dinner with friends. Josiah and Sarah are reading. Elijahs playing a game. The radio is playing in the other room. And i sit here typing out a blog post. I dont know where this post is headed, but im ok with that. I could talk about how sad i am that summer is coming to a close or how school starts on wednesday. I could tell you all how excited yet worried i am about taking 2 classes at the high school this year. I could tell you all about our camping trips these last 2 weeks or how im going to miss some friends that are going off to college. 

But instead im going to ask this... do you ever wish something in your life didn't happen?  or why God would let this happen to you/your family? Cause i do. I ask God why he wont give my dad a job. And why does life have to be so hard sometimes?

 Sometimes i wish that life could be the same as it was for me 5 years ago. I was almost 11, had lots of friendships i thought would be life long, went to a school for homeschoolers, had 9 siblings, helped in kids church, and i didnt have a care in the world. But im not. Im here almost 16, have friendships i hope will be life long, start public school for the first time in 3 days, have 11 siblings, at a new church(sense april), and i have lots of cares in the world. Now dont get me wrong I wouldn't trade my family, church or friends for anything. But what it took to get here, its been hard. 

First we adopted,  i LOVE Sarah and Rachel dearly and wouldn't trade them for anything, but as any adoptive family can say its hard. 

Secondly we stopped going to the homeschool school, and with that i lost some friends i thought would be my "BFF's". Some i still talk to occasionally but we're not as close. 

Thirdly my Dad got a job as a pastor in the San Juan islands. Then we moved to the island for 8 months, but our house never sold so we had to move back. After 18 months of Dad going to the island on weekends(thursday-sunday/monday), our house never selling and it being really hard for us with him being gone most of the time he quite the job and "moved" back home. 

You now find me in January 2011, im 14 years old, at a new church, dont have many friends, my brother jeremiah is married and due to the fact that my dad hasnt been really living at home the last 8 months and now doesnt have a job, life is hard. The next few months life goes up and down, one day its really hard and the next we think we see the light at the end of the tunnel. My mom finds out shes pregnant, but then has a miscarriage. July comes around and both Josh and Cassie get married. School starts and life goes on. Im in the musical and then run track, making friends along the way. 

Spring break comes and goes and we find our selves at yet another new church, this one with a few people i already now. School ends and summer begins, all the while making new friends at church. July comes around, i go to Tennessee and Rachel moves to a boarding school of types for adopted kids that need more help then their families can give. (thus why there haven't been many pics of her this summer) 

I now find myself in the present, August 26th 2012.  The last 4 1/2 years have been hard. They have been filled with tears, broken relationships, loneliness, lost friends but also new friends, learning, new churches, marriages, changes and transitions, memories, lots of prayers, new ways of life, unemployment and hardships but also happiness. But even though all the sadness and all the happiness its been worth it. If they hadn't happened i wouldn't be the person i am today, I wouldn't have 2 amazing sisters that i love oh so much! I wouldn't have learned so much. I wouldn't have made the memories iv made or the friends iv made. 

So all though i sometimes think i would like it if the last 5 years hadn't happened because of how hard they have been, im oh soo glad they did! They have shaped me into the young lady i am today. 

Now that the kids are in bed, Dad and Mom are home and you all know the true me. Not the me that is always happy and just shows you pictures iv taken. Tell me about the true you. Whats your story? 

4 comments:

Laurel said...

A Beautiful Post!

Yes, Hosanna, life has been VERY HARD for all of us the past 4 1/2 years. I, too, often wonder "Why?" "What if?"

But, I know that Papa and I have searched for God's wisdom each step of the way. We know that we were supposed to adopt. We know that Papa was supposed to pastor the church on the island. No, we cannot explain all of the loss and heartache that we have each experienced, but we KNOW that the LORD will continue to work in each of our lives as we continue to seek His will and His wisdom.

I wish I could take away all of the pain from you kids for the past 4 1/2 years, but I KNOW that the LORD has used it to grow you into who He wants you to be. Keep clinging to Him. Keep praying for restoration of relationships. Keep trusting that He is working, even when we don't see it.

Love you so much!

Mama :)

Karen said...

I came over from your mom's blog! You're right...it's hard, but it shapes you. We adopted 3 boys. One is very challenging...I wonder how it's affecting our biological children...I hope they are as honest and have the same perspective as you do when they reach your age!

free_to_dream said...

Hosanna,

My life the past couple of years has been very hard as well. I'm nineteen now,and have been battling a nasty chronic pain syndrome (Reflex Neurovascular Dystrophy) for almost five years now. In addition, I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder about three years ago, and believe me, that is no fun either! Sometimes all you can do is keep putting one foot in front of the other and take one day at a time. If you can do that, you can do anything!

Sarah

Vicky said...

I LOVE this post, Hosanna! It made me want to reach through the computer and hug you (sadly, Apple has not yet come up with that app... but I can hope for someday).

I have so enjoyed getting to watch you grow into the young woman you are today. Because you have allowed God to work in your life through your circumstances, He has grown in you a maturity that is beyond your years. You are a beautiful lady, inside and out, and Jesus' presence is evident in your words and actions. The ages 11-16 are TOUGH even in the best of circumstances... so the way you have come through these last 5 years is all the more amazing. God has done great things in your life, and I know He will continue to do so as you continue to trust Him and run headlong into His plans.

Love you bunches, Hosanna!